Summer Professional Learning: Sparking Teacher Energy

I have had the honor to be a part of at least three school/district’s professional learning this summer. I have taught classes at TIES, and I have attended a few conferences myself. What always amazes me is the teacher’s dedication to bettering themselves for their students. I know few teachers who feel they have “summers off.” If they are not attending the sessions at school, they are reading, Tweeting, pinning, and so much more.

The one theme across every modality for learning is that teachers crave TIME. So often, the highlights of the sessions I teach or attend are just simply the gift of time. Once the school year starts, the world rushes by too fast. Rarely do teachers get the time to simply learn, absorb, apply, and create.

How can we change the pace of the year, if even just for a few hours, to spread the gift of time? Imagine the energy if teachers could be sparked like this continually!

What is your favorite mode for summer learning and growth? What makes it so powerful? And, how can we carry that magic into the school year when the spark is needed most?